Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Sixth Sandwich


Yesterday's sandwich mission gave me an opportunity to explore my new neighborhood with my good friend Raleigh. We walked over to Volunteer Park Cafe to have lunch before the first Husky football game of the season. I ordered the Chicken Salad Sandwich ($8) and Raleigh ordered the Prosciutto & Mozzarella Baguette ($8.50).

I have two younger brothers who are always very hungry. Since my parents divorced when I was in middle school, my mom has raised my brothers and me on her own. Between her work and our schedules, my mom had little time to cook. Whenever I wasn't ready on time or late to an appointment, my mom would always say: You can waste money, but don't waste time. This line of thought has had an influence on how I organize my time. Those who are close to me know that I set my clocks ten minutes early and that I am always prompt. Anyway, my mom's cooking method is to cook two week's worth of food in one day and put it all in the freezer until it is time to eat. This method is very efficient but kind of redundant. One of the meals that my mom prepares in bulk is chicken salad sandwiches. Her chicken salad sandwiches becomes redundant less quickly than her other meals. She adds curry powder and raisins. It's good.

Volunteer Park Cafe's Chicken Salad Sandwich was tasty. The chicken was chunky and there was not too much mayonnaise. The apples played a nice supporting role. The sandwich was a good size and I did not feel too full afterward. I would suggest adding a little more flavor such as curry or dill. The sandwich was worth $8 and I will definitely visit it again.

- Rose

Volunteer Park Cafe
1501 17th Ave East
Seattle, WA

No comments:

Post a Comment