Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Seventh and Eighth Sandwiches




My two day sandwich hiatus refreshed my appetite. This afternoon, my friends Matt, Jamie, Zach, Raleigh and I visited Nettletown on Eastlake to eat the Elk Meatball sandwich. I had never tried elk meat before but I was excited to experience something new. In addition to the Elk Meatball sandwich, I ordered a mixed green salad with golden beets. When I received my salad, I was disappointed with the dearth of golden beets. Luckily, my disappointment was short lived. A nice employee, who had an awesome beard, brought more beets for everyone at the table. Next, they brought each of us our Elk Meatball sandwiches. I was surprised because the meatball sandwiches that I have eaten in the past have had red sauce. This meatball sandwich, however, did not have red sauce. Instead, it was decorated with bright orange pickled carrots and a medley of green herbs. The sandwich had a familiar, comforting flavor and left me quite satisfied. While we were eating our sandwich, we were visited by Nettletown's owner. We asked her about her menu, which includes miso soup and pbp&b sandwiches (peanut butter, pickles and bacon). One of her food philosophies is comfort. I definitely felt the vibe.

For dinner, Jamie, Matt, Zach and I met up at Quinn's Pub on Capitol Hill. We felt a bit under-dressed in our t-shirts and sweatshirts. I am embarrassed to admit that we were also acting like savages because none of us had eaten since lunches, seven hours before. I was really excited to try the Wild Boar Sloppy Joe for several reasons: 1) I have never eaten boar meat before and 2) I do not remember the last time I ate a sloppy joe but I remember that I enjoy eating them. I inhaled my sandwich as soon as I got it and, as a result, I wasn't able to reflect on the sandwich to my best ability. These are my thoughts: 1) The meat could be jucier, 2) Chewy, but not overly so, 3) Tomato sauce is rich, and 4) Using crispy onion to separate the bun from the meat is pro because the bread isn't soggy. When I had finished my sandwich I was on the precipice of becoming uncomfortably full and my hands were very dirty. I had eaten like a savage and now I felt like one among the other well-dressed, civilized patrons. Next time I go, my goal is to take breaths between my sandwich bites.

Lesson of the day: You can never have too much meat. Grr

Savage eating,
Rose

Nettletown
2238 Eastlake Ave East
Seattle, WA

Quinn's Pub
1001 East Pike Street
Seattle, WA

No comments:

Post a Comment