Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Fourth Sandwich


I love grilled cheese sandwiches. They are one of the easiest and most efficient sandwiches to make - all you need is a pan. When I make grilled cheese sandwiches, I use two half-inch thick slices of multi-grain bread. Next, I not only butter the outside of the sandwich but also butter the inside of the sandwich. Once the sandwich has been slathered in butter, I add generous amounts of Gruyère cheese. I grill the sandwich until the bread is a little crispy and has a golden brown color. Finally, I cut the sandwich diagonally and bite into cheesy deliciousness. I like to keep my grilled cheese sandwiches simple.

Today, I ate Elliot Bay Cafe's version of the simple grilled cheese sandwich. The grilled cheese and my lemonade cost a total of $9.90. The sandwich has Fontina, goat cheese, cheddar, peppers and tomato on semolina bread from Seattle's Macrina bakery. The additional flavors of the peppers and tomato are wonderful but they overwhelm the cheesiness. Also, the bread seems a little dry and not as buttery as I like.

Honestly, I prefer my homemade grilled cheese to the sandwich I had today. I'm kind of narcissistic like that.

-- Rose

Elliot Bay Cafe
1521 10th Ave
Seattle, WA

1 comment:

  1. That looks so tasty. Your photog skills are improving visibly.

    ReplyDelete